Thursday, February 24, 2011
Text Messages
The first week of February I got an idea. It was so simple that I'm not sure why it hadn't come to me before. I was thinking of my children and Love Month and I decided to send each of them a message. I texted "I love you" to each one and waited to see how quickly my message would be received. Throughout that day I received 5 messages back and it was delightful. I love you is a very simple statement but one I don't think I say often enough. I use the phrase "sparingly" because I'm afraid that I will diminish it's meaning if I use it too much. There is almost a sacredness to it. I am reminded of a book I once read called, "Nothing To Do But Stay." In it the author talks about her pioneer parents. "I can never remember my mother and father calling each other anything at all. When they spoke they just looked into each other's eyes and started talking...was it because they were so neutral about each other? On the contrary, I think it was the other way around: they had been through so much together and their feelings ran so deeply for each other that they couldn't bear to utter anything as intimate as their spouses' names in front of anyone -- not even their children."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment